My leadership experiences!

Saturday, 17 December 2011

TED Video

    

     For this post, I’ve chosen to write about a speech by Kathryn Schulz called, "On Being Wrong." When I first saw this video, I knew I had to watch it. I’m someone who absolutely hates being wrong. Well, I know that nobody likes to be wrong but, I absolutely can’t stand it. It was almost like this video was trying to tell me something.
     I found what Kathryn Schulz had to say really interesting. She believes that we all try to avoid being wrong and think that we’re right all of the time. We are trapped in a bubble of feeling right about everything for our whole lives. She thinks that this is a major problem.
     In her speech, Kathryn Schulz explained why we hate knowing we’re wrong so much. She claims that it starts way back in elementary school. When we were in elementary school, and someone got something wrong like, say, failing a spelling test, we know exactly what to think about them. They’re the stupid ones who get into trouble. Kathryn Schulz says,
"by the time you are nine years old, you’ve already learned, first of all, that people who get stuff wrong are lazy, irresponsible dimwits—and second of all, that the way to succeed in life is to never make any mistakes."
When I heard her say this, I knew that she was speaking the truth. I realized that I held this same view and had for a very long time. I’d just never thought about it before.
    Kathryn Schulz says that this belief is such a problem because it pushes us all to become
"perfect little A students, perfectionists, over-achievers"
and that when we get something wrong it causes us to stress out and believe that there’s something wrong with us. To me, this is so true. Because of my belief in not being wrong, I, probably like many of you other Horizons students, am a perfectionist and an over-achiever. When I get something wrong, it just kills me. Earlier this year, I got a lower mark on a test than I wanted to and it really made me upset. It only brought my average in the course down by 2% but, I didn’t think about that. I only thought about how bad I had done and what I should’ve gotten. As much as I tried to "build a bridge and get over it," as the saying goes, I just couldn’t. It bothered me for a long time. I was so afraid of being wrong, that I let this mark really hurt me. As I listened to Kathryn Schulz's speech, I understood what she was saying. Being afraid of being wrong really is a big problem.
     In her speech Kathryn Schulz said,
"Think for a moment about what it means to feel right. It means that you think that your beliefs just perfectly reflect reality."
So, I thought about it and I realized that this is not always going to happen. In fact, I believe that it’s hardly ever going to happen. How often do our beliefs perfectly reflect reality? Not often, even if we think they do. So, being wrong most of the time is normal. In fact, it’s actually okay. Not everyone sees the world the same way. Kathryn Schulz says that if everyone was right all of the time, life would be boring. One of my favourite quotes about life from her speech is,
"We think this one thing is going to happen and something else happens instead."
That’s just how life is.
     I really liked Kathryn Schulz’s speech. I felt like she was talking right at me. She helped me see that I’m not always going to be right and I need to realize that. When I’m wrong, I’ve got to accept that I just fooled up and it happens to everybody. I know I’m never going to like being wrong but, maybe I’ll be able to come to terms with it better than before I heard her speech. What Kathryn Schulz said made me think about a lot of things that I’d never thought about before and that’s why I chose to write my post about it. I hope you guys watch her speech and I think you’ll like it just as much as I did. But, who knows, maybe I’m wrong.

6 comments:

  1. I was like that a little, always thought that I was right, but then I realized you sometimes need to be wrong in order to be right, just by fixing the mistakes.By the way nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great video. Really provocative. The way she explained the "series of unfortunate assumptions" was spot on too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Patrick! I thought that she was really good too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome Video Caileigh! Like you I am also someone who hates being wrong.. What Kathryn says in the video is really relatable and really makes you think that being wrong is not necessarily a bad thing as long as we learn something from it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Brooke! I agree with you 100%. I never looked at being wrong that way before I heard her speech and it really made me think. I'm glad that you could relate to it as well!

    ReplyDelete