My leadership experiences!

Friday, 17 February 2012

Tweet It!

First off, I’d just like to say that I had never, ever used Twitter before completing this post so, I really had no idea what to expect! As I was searching though, I realized that I had been missing out on a lot. I never knew that Twitter could be such a great source for following inspiring people and organizations! Writing this post really opened my eyes and I had a hard time just picking three people or organizations to focus my post on! However, I finally managed to narrow down my list and here’s who I finally chose:

1) Room to Read
@RoomtoRead
https://twitter.com/#!/RoomtoRead

Room to Read is a charitable organization that focuses on bringing literacy and gender equality in education to developing countries such as Nepal, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka. They fund libraries for children, give them a safe place to learn and enable girls to enroll and stay in school. To date, Room to Read has reached over 5 million children and hopes to reach 10 million by 2015. I think that this is such a great program because so many of us take our free education for granted. We complain about having to go to school every day when there are children in the world who would give anything to be in our place. Room to Read is a program that gives these children the opportunity to get an education and make their lives better. This charity is a wonderful way to help these children.

2) Jacqueline Novogratz
@jnovogratz
https://twitter.com/#!/jnovogratz

Jacqueline Novogratz is the founder of the Acumen Fund—an organization whose mission is "to create a world beyond poverty by investing in social enterprises, emerging leaders, and breakthrough ideas." In other words, they are an organization that works to eliminate poverty by looking to solve the "big problem" of poverty rather than making low-income people dependent on charity. I chose Jacqueline Novogratz because I believe that taking on such a big project and creating an organization that has helped over 10 million people to date is truly inspirational. I could never imagine trying to do something so big. As well as creating this organization, she has also written a book about her experiences called, "The Blue Sweater." Jacqueline Novogratz is really a leader who has done something fantastic with her life.

3) New York Times Haiti News
@HaitiRecovery
https://twitter.com/#!/HaitiRecovery

Haiti News is a page run by the New York Times about Haiti and the hardships that it’s facing. Most of us can remember the terrible earthquake that hit the country in 2010 but, that seems like so long ago today. After the news of the $8-$14 billion cost and the
200 000-300 000 death toll died down, I’m betting that most of us forgot about Haiti. However, just because we forgot doesn’t mean that Haiti magically got better. Unfortunately, Haiti is one of the poorest and least developed countries in the world and has recently struggled with political upheaval, heath crises and hurricanes as well as that horrible earthquake. About 634 000 people in Haiti are stuck in displacement camps and reconstruction of damaged areas has barely begun. The New York Times Haiti News is a page that helps get the word out about these hardships that Haiti is facing. Before I looked at this page, I had no idea that it was this bad in Haiti. I’m ashamed to say it but, before I read this, Haiti was the last thing that I was thinking about. To me, that’s why I believe that this page is important. This is a country that is in such a state and no one is doing anything because regular people like us don’t know about it! I think that this page has the right idea and that getting the message out is the best way to help Haiti. It’s great to know that the New York Times is helping to do something about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment